Y Wladfa - Patagonia

Teithiau Andes Celtig Travel

27. June 2014 07:42
by Andes Celtig
0 Comments

Gaiman

27. June 2014 07:42 by Andes Celtig | 0 Comments

Gaiman was founded in 1874 and its municipal government was formed in 1885 with authority over the whole valley, the first in the territory of Chubut. For a number of years formal documents were produced in both Welsh and Spanish. The name Gaiman in the native Tehuelche language means ‘sharpening stone’ or ‘sharp stone’. Dafydd Roberts built Gaiman’s first house in 1874.
 
The principal attraction of the town today is its Welshness and the characters that live there. There will be plenty of opportunities to have a chat with descendants of the original Welsh colonisers - Welsh or Spanish of course! Other important attractions are the Bethel chapels, the historical museum situated in the old railway station, the first house, and Colegio Camwy, the first secondary school in the whole of Patagonia. There are also numerous Welsh teahouses, the old railway tunnel, the weird and wonderful El Desafío theme park, the Richard Berwyn library, the centenary monument, and Huw Puw’s old hotel that today houses a school of music. The river Río Chubut also runs through the town.

Sefydlwyd pentref Gaiman yn 1874 a ffurfiwyd llywodraeth fwrdeistrefol Gaiman – y cyntaf yn nhalaith Chubut - yn 1885 gydag awdurdod dros y dyffryn cyfan. Am lawer o flynyddoedd yn y Gymraeg a’r Sbaeneg y cofnodwyd manylion y llywodraeth. Ystyr Gaiman yn iaith frodorol y Tehuelche yw "carreg hogi" neu “carreg finiog”. Adeiladwyd ty^ cyntaf Gaiman gan David D. Roberts yn 1874.
 
Prif atyniadau’r pentref heddiw yw ei Gymreictod a’r cymeriadau sydd yn byw yno a bydd cyfle am sgwrs ddifyr gyda disgynyddion y gwladfawyr gwreiddiol. Atyniadau eraill o bwys yw Capel Bethel a’r Hen Gapel, yr Amgueddfa Hanes yn adeilad yr hen orsaf reilffordd, y Tŷ Cyntaf a Coleg Camwy. Hefyd, mae nifer o dai te Cymreig, twnnel yr hen reilffordd, parc thema "El Desafío", llyfrgell Richard Berwyn, cofadail yn cofnodi canmlwyddiant y Wladfa, a hen westy Huw Puw sydd yn gartref i’r Ysgol Gerdd heddiw. Ac ni ddylid anghofio Afon Camwy sy’n rhedeg drwy’r Gaiman.

Copyright/Hawlfraint © 2007–2017, Andes Celtig.

Top